Though your heating and air conditioning system (or HVAC for short) may be the last thing on your mind, it should be at the top of your maintenance list, and for good reason! Over time from continued use, components in your HVAC begin to wear down and need to be inspected and maintained in order for your system to work properly.
Our heating and cooling pros at Frank Gay Services explain why seasonal HVAC maintenance can benefit you year-round!
- Seasonal HVAC maintenance ensures a longer lifespan for your system, reduces energy costs, and increases indoor air quality.
- Remember to replace air filters monthly and call a pro for a seasonal tune-up and inspection.
- Spring is a great time to have your ductwork cleaned.
- Seal cracks throughout your home in the winter.
Your Seasonal HVAC Maintenance Plan
If you already have HVAC maintenance on your calendar, good work, you’re doing the right thing! But if you haven’t scheduled an appointment yet, better get on it!
The fall months are a great time to schedule maintenance
as the weather cools down (slightly) in Central Florida.
Having seasonal HVAC maintenance done benefits your system in many ways. Our pros at Frank Gay Services will:
- Test the safety controls
- Adjust the operating pressure
- Calibrate the thermostat
- Clean condensate drains
- Perform air flow tests
- And more!
Keep reading to learn seasonal tasks that you can do to keep your HVAC running smoothly between maintenance visits!
Fall HVAC Maintenance Tasks
There are many ways to increase the efficiency of your HVAC system during the fall. Here are a few simple maintenance tasks that you can do at the start of the season to reap long-term rewards:
- If it’s chilly out, open the curtains and allow the sun to warm your home instead of turning on the heater.
- Run ceiling fans clockwise, which distributes heat from the top of the room to the living areas in your home.
- Use space heaters to enhance your home’s heating.
- Use a humidifier if you need to add moisture back to your home.
- Replace your air filters every 30-60 days. (Take a second; add a reminder on your phone calendar so you don’t forget!)
Winter HVAC Maintenance Tasks
Here in Central Florida, we don’t get the freezing temperatures that our northern friends get, though it does still get chilly in the winter months; meaning you might need to turn on the heat.
Make sure to do these maintenance tasks during the cooler season:
- Seal cracks throughout your home and install weather strips along windowsills.
- Open curtains and blinds on south-facing windows to capture some solar energy and heat during the day.
- You know what’s next; replace your air filters every 30-60 days!
Spring HVAC Maintenance Tasks
While spring is generally a comfortable season, it can get hot in Central Florida, so you might be ready to crank up the AC. Instead of relying on your air conditioners, ease the load of your AC with these tips:
- Keep curtains closed so the heat of the sun won’t heat your home.
- Cook on the grill and give your oven a rest.
- Run ceiling fans instead of the AC.
- Use a dehumidifier.
- Open windows and let in the fresh spring air in the mornings and evenings.
- Have your ducts cleaned.
- Change your air filters. Yes, again!
Summer HVAC Maintenance Tasks
In Florida, there is no way around running your air conditioner in the summer months. But such reliance and continual use place extra strain on your HVAC system.
Ease your system’s burden with these tips:
- Upgrade your insulation to help seal your home from the heat.
- Check the drain pan regularly and remove any collected moisture.
- Run fans to help circulate air.
- Remove debris such as leaves or branches from your outside unit.
- Remember those air filters? You know the drill by now, change them every 30-60 days!
The Benefits of Seasonal Maintenance
If not properly maintained, your HVAC system could break down right when you need it the most. Minimize your chances of a breakdown by calling Frank Gay Services for seasonal HVAC maintenance!
Still not convinced? Here are the benefits!
Improved Efficiency = Lower Utility Bills
Thanks to increased heating and cooling costs, using your HVAC system can wreak havoc on your energy bill. However, maintaining your system will increase its overall efficiency, directly translating to a lower monthly energy bill.
Reduced Need for Repairs
Preventative maintenance is the best way to prevent significant problems with your HVAC system, saving you on costly repair bills.
Better Indoor Air Quality
Not only does a clean and maintained system achieve better efficiency, but it enhances your indoor air quality as well. Maintenance helps reduce your family’s exposure to allergens and pathogens like dust and dander.
Further, replacing filters regularly will boost air quality too!
Prolonged HVAC Lifespan
Generally, HVAC systems will last around 15-25 years, but this varies widely depending on several factors, such as weather conditions, wear and tear, and the system’s components. Maintenance or lack thereof greatly impacts the lifespan of your system, so don’t wait! Call for seasonal maintenance ASAP!
Schedule Seasonal Maintenance
Enhance efficiency, prevent breakdowns, and prolong the lifespan of your HVAC system by putting seasonal maintenance on the calendar this fall.
Call Frank Gay Services at (407) 329-5145 for a tune-up and inspection today! Your HVAC system will thank you!