Being able to charge your electric vehicle (EV) at home is one of the best perks of owning an EV and installing an at-home EV charger. Not only are EVs environmentally friendly, but charging them at home can save you A LOT of money! Plus, you won’t have to rely on public chargers anymore.
Not sure how to get started? Our electricians at Frank Gay Services detail what to consider when installing an at-home charger for your electric vehicle!
The Benefits of an At-Home EV Charger
As the electric vehicle industry grows, more and more charging stations are being constructed around town, but the best way to charge your EV is to have a charging station installed at home.
Here are a few of the benefits:
- Faster Charging: A properly installed home EV charger can charge a battery to full capacity in 45 minutes to 7 hours, which is much faster than public chargers. Yes, you can use a rapid charging station, but those aren’t cheap to use!
- Convenience: Having an EV charger at home is quite convenient. You can charge your car as soon as you arrive home so it is ready for the next day’s commute. Plus, you don’t have to rely on public charging stations anymore.
- Prolonged Battery Life: EV batteries become less effective over time as constant use and charging reduce their capacity to hold power. To slow down this degradation, it is recommended to charge the battery to almost full, rather than giving it a small boost of energy from a public charging station. Having an at-home charger is ideal for your EV’s battery life.
- Enhanced Property Value: As more and more people buy electric vehicles, at-home EV chargers will add value to your house and appeal if you plan to sell.
- Greater Compatibility: Unlike public charging stations, at-home EV chargers are compatible with a wide array of EV car models.
At-Home EV Charger FAQs
Before having an EV charger installed at your home, read through these FAQs!
#1. How Much Does it Cost to Install an At-Home EV Charger?
The national average to install a charging station for an electric vehicle ranges between $494-$1,200. The overall cost depends on several factors, including your location and the type of charging station that you want to have installed.
EV stations are available in three levels, each with different voltages,
features, and price ranges that can impact the price of your charging station.
#2. Where Can I Install an EV Charger?
We recommend mounting your charger on an inside wall of your garage beside your parked car or on an outer wall beside your driveway.
We also recommend having a site survey completed to ensure that there is a safe location for the charging unit before installation.
#3. How Much Power Does the EV Charger Need?
The type of EV charger that you install will also depend on how much power your home can supply. Our electricians at Frank Gay Services will check your home’s system before installing your EV charger to ensure your home has enough power to run the charger.
EV chargers are available in several wattages including:
- 3 kW: Slow charge
- 7 kW: Fast charge
- 22 kW: Rapid charge
Keep in mind that the faster the charger, the more it will cost. Also, rapid chargers need three-phase electricity, so you may have to upgrade your home’s electricity if you want to install a rapid charger.
#4. Should I Choose a Standard or Smart EV Charger?
Ultimately, the choice is up to you, but a standard EV charger is more cost-effective. One benefit to having a smart charger is that they have features that can help you better manage your EV charging, reducing your costs even more.
Plus, smart chargers can connect to your home’s Wi-Fi so you can monitor and adjust the charger’s settings from an app on your phone.
#5. What Features are Available with EV Chargers?
Many manufacturers have developed chargers with new features and software to make charging safer and more reliable.
These features include:
- Rapid charging mode
- Eco charging mode, which can use energy from solar panels
- Built-in SIM card for connection if your Wi-Fi is unreliable
- Cable hanger
- Key switch, which requires a key to turn the charger on
Not all chargers have these features, and some will cost more. Just make sure that you are getting the capabilities that you want out of your charger.
#6. Can I Install My EV Charger?
Some EVs come with complimentary charger installation, but most will need to be installed by a licensed electrician, like one from Frank Gay Services.
Plus, you might invalidate your warranty by installing the EV charger yourself.
It is not worth trying to cut corners to save money on the installation, and it could cost you more in the long run. Our team at Frank Gay Services is licensed to safely install EV chargers for our customers across Central Florida.
A Worthy Investment in the Future
No matter the type of electric vehicle you have, it is important to have a reliable way to charge your EV at home. That way, you don’t have to rely on crowded public charging stations.
Call our knowledgeable and trusted electricians at Frank Gay Services for EV charger installations in the Greater Orlando area. We will make sure that the charger you supply is installed properly so you can enjoy the convenience of charging your EV at home!
Call us today for an EV charger installation quote; (407) 329-5145!