Frank Gay Services is proud to now serve Daytona Beach and surrounding communities stretching from Palm Coast to Titusville. Call now for fast service from our certified 5-star technicians!

Know the Signs: Common Household Electrical Issues 

With all the different electrical components in your home, something is bound to wear down or stop working over time. These problems can range from minor nuisances to severe hazards, so it’s essential to stay aware of the signs and take action before they escalate into something more significant and dangerous. 


Many homeowners love a good DIY, but when it comes to electrical work, it’s best to leave it to the professionals! Electricity is a vital part of our daily lives but is very hazardous if not handled properly.  


That’s why the electrical pros at Frank Gay Services are here to help you understand the most common electrical issues and the signs of potentially hazardous problems. 



Flickering Lights 


Flickering lights may seem like a minor issue, but it could be a sign of a more significant electrical problem. Flickering lights can of course be caused by a loose or faulty bulb, but it could also be a sign of a more significant problem with the electrical system in your home 


If you switch out the lightbulb and the flickering persists, notice flickering lights in multiple rooms,

or if it happens frequently, it’s time to call in a professional electrician. 



Circuit Breaker Tripping 

A circuit breaker is a safety device that automatically shuts off the power to a circuit when it detects an overload or short circuit. If your circuit breaker keeps tripping, it could be a sign that there is a problem with the electrical system 


Overloading circuits can cause electrical fires, so it’s crucial to address this issue as soon as possible. An electrician can inspect the electrical system and identify the root cause of the problem. 



Electrical Shocks 

If you experience electrical shocks when you touch an appliance or light switch, it’s a major electrical hazard.  


Electrical shocks can be caused by faulty wiring, poor grounding, or damaged appliances.  


It’s crucial to get an electrician out to inspect it right away before it causes any harm to you or your home. 



Nonworking Outlets 

If you have outlets that aren’t working, it could either be a problem with the wiring or the outlet itself. Generally, outlets can last anywhere from 10 to 25 years. However, this can depend on how frequently they are used, the quality of the outlet, and the environmental conditions. 


Aside from the outlet itself, the issue can also be caused by loose wires or other faulty electrical components. 



Burning Smell 

If you notice a burning smell coming from your electrical outlets or appliances, turn off the power and call a licensed electrician! The burning smell is caused by overheating or arcing, which can cause house fires.  


Again, electrical work is extremely dangerous and should never be attempted on your own. Do not investigate the source of the smell or fix the problem yourself, call the professionals at Frank Gay Services instead! 



Overloaded Outlets 

Plugging too many appliances into one outlet can cause overheating and potentially lead to a fire. It’s important to spread out your appliances across multiple outlets and avoid using extension cords as a long-term solution.  



Don’t ignore Electrical Issues, Call Frank Gay Services Today 

Now that you know the common electrical issues, it’s essential to have a reliable electrician who can address these problems promptly and efficiently. Frank Gay Services has a team of licensed and experienced electricians who can handle any electrical issue in your home 


Electrical problems? Don’t wait- contact our Orlando-area team at Frank Gay Services for an inspection today; (407) 329-5145!   

Skip to content